Thursday, April 22, 2010

Earth Day Post #3

Happy Earth Day everyone! Did you know that this is the 40th anniversary of Earth Day. I had no idea until I found this website. They have all sorts of neat information about Earth Day and about going green in general. Yesterday I shared ideas with you about how to go green, today I'm going to do the same but I'm going to focus mostly on how to go green while decorating or re-decorating your space.



1. Try to use a no- or low-voc paint. In short voc's are what causes that lovely smell that you get after you've painted something. You can now find paint without voc's and they're much better for the environment. When me and my husband were recently re-painting our house we used paint with low voc's. It was so nice because it wasn't any more expensive, the people at Lowe's were really helpful and even matched the color I found from a different paint company just so we could get the low voc paint. One thing that I think is awesome about no- or low- voc paint is that our house didn't smell like we had just painted for a week after. In fact it didn't even smell like we had painted at all. If nothing else, that was a huge bonus.

2. Buy used. This is one of the best ways to get that completely original look and help the environment. By first shopping local garage sales or thrift stores not only can you find something really unique but you're creating a look that is completely yours. No one else will have that table because you bought the only one. Often times you can also refinish these items to add even more character. I love a completely original piece because then my house feels like it's mine, not a model home.

3. Re-use what you already have. Making a quick change in your decor is really simple and can be really cost effective if you go about it the right way. By re-using what you have, you're saving it from going in the land-fill and you're saving yourself money. You can easily buy covers for pillows and instantly change the look of a room. Also, it's fairly simple to repaint furniture to get a new look. Check out this fun post from a blog I just discovered to see what I mean.


So next time you're getting tired with your current decor, try changing it the green way. Then you'll have an awesome new room and feel good that you were helping the environment. A win win in my book!
[photos from House Beautiful]

1 comment:

Tracy said...

I need help with my family room! Think of some ideas for me, I'm ready for some changes in there.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails